We went to pick strawberries today at Jones Orchard at Shelby Farms. I remember Angie talking about their experience last year and I thought "what fun". And last week I saw a friend who had just been "pickin'", so I woke up this morning and thought what a beautiful day to go pick strawberries!
I'm not sure exactly why but I was very excited about this event. I don't know, there's just something about picking out and pulling your own strawberries from the vine. And I was excited for the kids, too. With the warmer weather and springtime we've been spending most of our time outdoors and I thought this would be something new and fun for us to do.
Well I just knew Avery would have a good time. And Parker, being the busy body that he is, I might have a little trouble from him running off or around. But I knew I had friends going who would help me keep him rounded up. But before I knew it Avery was done; she lost interest pretty quick. Parker on the other hand...well, he didn't quite understand the concept but I'd say he had the most fun. You see, Parker, first you pick the strawberry from the vine, place the strawberry in your bucket, pay the man for all of your strawberries, then eat and enjoy. Parker missed two very important steps...he skipped the buckets and the purchase. The strawberry went straight from the vine, in his hand, and to his mouth!!! They are delicious strawberries; I guess I can see why he just couldn't stop. Thank goodness for the kind orchard man who told me not to worry about all those strawberries he ate; I was ready to pay for an extra pound. Seriously, he could have very well eaten a pound!
And sweet little Carter, he slept in his car seat soundly as I carted him up and down the rows. Thank you, Lord, for such a sweet baby. Just as sweet and yummy as those strawberries.
So we'll see where our next spring adventure will take us. I'm certain we'll go back for more strawberries; they are there until June. But there are also lots of other fruits to pick and enjoy - plums, peaches, blackberries, blueberries...y'all get ready for Parker; he's a machine!!!
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oooh! I didn't know they were ready yet! Can't wait to get some fresh berries!! And Parker did what I always do... they are so yummy right off the vine! I know what we'll be doing next week for sure! Miss you!!!
ReplyDelete