Thursday, August 19, 2010

August

Last summer I debated whether I would put Avery in a Mother's Day Out program. She only went one day during the week; it was just 5 hours. I could tackle a few weeks during our busy summer without that break. Nope. I regretted it. So this summer I put both she and Parker in MDO for their one day. Their last day there was the last week of July. Their first day of the new school year is the first week of September. What was I going to do during August without those few hours of sanity! And it is so unbelievable hot outside there's not much to go and do. Motherhood is fun, but it is hard work. And with the addition of baby Carter, and no family nearby, things are busy. After I had Parker I remember thinking how easy running errands was with one child. And after having Carter I think how easy running errands was with 2 children. I told Shane I might lose it, please be patient with me. And in addition I've had poison ivy which called for Prednisone which hasn't helped in my being a happy camper. But then I had a moment...
Avery will be 4 years old on Sunday. Wow! She's starting preschool this year, going 3 days a week. Parker is talking up a storm and is one funny little dude. And Carter is already 6 months old. Times are changing. Our schedule is about to be even busier, and this is just the beginning. So I decided to treasure this time instead of dreading it. Enjoy hearing all of them under one roof during the day playing together. I love the sound of Avery and Parker laughing with one another. I love the way Carter's face lights up when he sees his brother and sister. Enjoy waking up in the morning without anywhere to go and being able to cuddle on the couch. Enjoy taking our time at bedtime and not having to worry about getting up early in the morning. Enjoy eating lunch together. Enjoy the mess...or rather enjoy the fact that it doesn't bother me like it used to. Enjoy Parker's mischievous acts (to a certain degree, of course). Enjoy Avery wanting to stay up with me and "work on letters" instead of taking a nap. Enjoy the way she helps me so much with Carter. Enjoy playing with Carter and watching his little world as it expands. Enjoy the mounds of laundry (I can't believe I said that) and letting A and P help me with it. Enjoy the round of hugs and kisses that take place even before naptime. Enjoy the cheers and excitement of all (complete with the "tee-tee" dance) when Parker uses the potty.
So I've found myself as the days of school approach to be more emotional rather than "hurry up and get here". What on earth am I going to do next year when kindergarten arrives (my eyes are tearing up as I type).
Thank you, God, for our precious family. Thank you for this season of our lives. Thank you for this August.

1 comment:

  1. very sweet post! it is so hard to just stop and enjoy your time with the kids. its so easy to be too busy and focused on getting everything done that you forget that these days will be gone soon. thanks for the reminder! and enjoy your time of not having to get up and be somewhere every morning :)

    ReplyDelete