Friday, June 3, 2011

I'm learning

There are some things that my children have taught me about myself that I didn't already know....

**When I'm in pain, back off and leave me alone.  Don't try to hold my hand or rub my back or use consoling words.  "Physical touch" is definitely not my love language.  I realized this trait of mine when I was in labor with Avery.  There was a short period before I got my epidural that I was hurting with contractions pretty bad, and Shane, being the loving husband that he is, tried to console with some "physical touch" and I quickly realized he wasn't helping...he was only making things worse.  So when P & C were born, Shane knew to sit quietly on the couch, and if I needed something I would let him know :-)

**I don't like sharing food, particularly dessert.  Sad, huh?  Well, I'm just being honest.  Now if it's a matter of my children being properly fed, not a problem.  But let's just say I've graduated A & P from the "kiddie scoop" to the "small scoop" at Baskin Robbins, because they were inhaling theirs and wanting more of mine.  I, too, have moved up in the world b/c I now have to share mine with C; that was an easy fix.

**Public bathrooms DISGUST me.  Sometimes to the point of gagging.

**I'm a light sleeper.  I can be so sound asleep and the tiniest noise can wake me up.  I believe this is an instinct that comes with motherhood.

**I love, love, love a good nap.

**My flesh is very, pitifully, weak.  Well, duh!  This really isn't a new concept that I've learned, but I definitely understand it a lot better.  There is absolutely NO WAY I can be ALL that my children NEED me to be for them on a daily basis.  And when I turn to the Spirit to fill me up and overflow, I usually have much better results than when I continue to do things on my own.

**I'm fearful of one day being a "mother-in-law".  Already praying about this one.

**Family vacation is soooo important to me (and Shane), in more ways than one.

**I have never, ever been so thankful for my health and the health of my family.

**I don't sweat the small stuff (or at least I try not to)

**It's weird sometimes how I can be verbally teaching my children a lesson, and in the back of my mind I hear my Father calling out to me, "well, Macy, that goes for you too; you need to practice what you're teaching".  For example....Avery, how big is that bug?  Are you bigger than that bug?  Just shew it away.  Macy, how big is our God?  Is He bigger than any problem or worry or fear?  Then just give it to Him!

**A messy house doesn't bother me anymore.  An unclean house, yes.  But for me, stepping over toys and books and balls is just a part of it.

**I don't mind if the kids jump on the bed or the couch (as long as they're being careful).

**It's just stuff.  Yes, I'm thankful the Lord has blessed me with some nice things, and I take care of them and appreciate them, but it's still just stuff.

*I enjoy peace & quiet.  On those days when Shane & I are in two separate vehicles, and I get to drive the car home solo....sometimes I turn the music up and sing really loud.  But lately I have been enjoying just the peace & quiet.

*I can actually properly function on very little or no sleep at all.

Ok, that's enough.  And to think, I've still got a lot to learn :-)

1 comment: