Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Birthday Shane!

Yesterday was Shane's birthday, but we've done a little celebrating for the past 3 days. Tuesday night I fixed a good dinner and had a Funfetti cake and presents waiting on him when he got home from work. Yesterday he worked and I picked him up on the way out and traveled to my sister's in Clinton, where the whole family was waiting and sang "Happy Birthday" as soon as we walked in the door. And today, along with the other Thanksgiving desserts, my mom had baked him a special strawberry cake just for him...and of course he shared.
I want to dedicate this post to Shane, in honor of his birthday. How fitting that it always occurs right at Thanksgiving. What more to be thankful for!

Shane and I didn't get married until we were 28, so I went through quite a season of loneliness...literally hoping and praying for a husband. God taught me a lot during that season (I'll save that for another post). Everybody always used to tell me, "It will happen when you least expect it". I got tired of hearing that comment...but of course they were right. He was definitely worth the wait!

So here are some special reasons why I love Shane so much, and ways I know that he loves me (you should be able to figure out by the end of this post that one of my major love languages is "acts of service"):

- he's patient and kind

- there's just something about him that's calming; he calms me when I tend to flip out; he simply takes care of me

- he's a hard worker and wonderful provider for our family; I'm very proud of the work that he does; he's quite accomplished

- he gives the kids a bath

- he's a very "hands-on" father

- he makes me laugh hysterically, like no one else can. He makes our kids laugh hysterically like no one else can.

- he makes up the bed

- he loves children; he's a wonderful uncle to all his nieces and nephews

- he's a sports fan; we both love a good ballgame; and since he's from the Big 12, he's adjusted to our SEC pretty well; and he shares my LOVE for college basketball.

- he knows all of my favorites

- he loves his family...both sides

- he loves the Lord; I can sense God doing a mighty work on his heart

- he rides roller coasters with me, even though they sometimes make him sick

- he holds my hand

- he knows that when I'm in labor not to touch me! Ha! I really didn't know this about myself until I was in labor with Avery. When the pitocin got started and before the epidural I didn't want anybody touching me...don't rub my back or hold my hand. And he took no offense to it. So when Parker came along, he stayed back until he knew it was safe!

- he's very good with our finances; definitely more realistic and practical than I tend to be

- he's my best friend

And the list could go on and on and on.....

I love you Shane; I am so very, very thankful for you!

2 comments: