Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Have you ever...?

Have you ever gone to Target or the grocery store, paid for your items, and then walked off without your bags? I've done this several times. Most of the time they catch me before I get out of the door, usually laughing with me. But there have been times that I have gotten all the way to my car and I think, "where are my bags?" Seriously, I have to think about it.

Have you ever punished one of your children and then felt very guilty about it after the fact...b/c you realize you wrongly punished him/her? Example - I found Avery and Parker in her room standing next to her bed. She was playing with something; Parker was playing with the hand sanitizer and was having a good time spreading it all over Avery's new quilt on her new bed. He has been warned several times about the "magic soap". So before I knew it the spanking spoon was in hand and I went for the obvious culprit first. And as Avery was telling me that she didn't play with the magic soap I was spanking her little bottom, too. I just assumed she was in on the action. She cried, of course, and kept telling me, "but I didn't play with the magic soap; why did you spank me?" I believed her; I just believed her a little too late. I did not have a hard time apologizing to her. I felt really bad :-(

Have you ever gotten a bad haircut? I can't think of one specific awful cut. There have been times that the stylist hasn't done exactly what I asked for, but I can usually come home and make it work. My problem is that I cringe every time the hairdresser styles my hair after he/she is done with it. I'm talking CRINGE. My hair is very thin and fine; it's unique; I have 2 awful cow-licks (how do you spell that word?) I don't have this beautiful thick, lustrous hair that looks great no matter how you fix it. Seriously there are times when I'm so embarrassed to walk to the front of the salon to pay the receptionist. I've learned not to plan any major events after a haircut. I must come home and fix it myself before being seen in public.

Have you ever danced with your children? I'm talking some serious "cutting a rug" and getting jiggy with it. Avery and I had so much fun the other night dancing. I admit part of it might have been selfish b/c I was somewhat hoping I could dance baby Carter out of me, but it turned into sheer pleasure. It was one of those moments that I took a good look at and soaked up the image; one of those moments that I want to always remember.

Have you ever crawled on your hands and knees out of your infant/toddler's bedroom? You know, you're trying to put them back to sleep in his crib and you sit there for a little while assuring him of your presence, but then you have to sneak out so he doesn't see you leaving? Did it just this morning. Parker, who is usually my late sleeper, has been waking up way too early the past couple of weeks. It's his molars; I'm sure of it.

Have you ever just needed to cry? I'm sure it's a female thing and hormones are involved, but there are moments when a good cry is just what I need. Example - I worked yesterday. Tired, woke up at the crack of dawn and couldn't sleep the night before, big & fat and already put out by all the comments I've heard from people at work about how huge I am. I walk into my patient's room. 2 year old little boy with a brain tumor. Alone is his room (his caregiver, not even his mother, left during the night); lying down in his crib. Looks up at me and grins a precious smile. Takes his medicine like a champ. Lays back down and closes his eyes. I make a mad dash to the bathroom and squall my eyes out. After that meltdown I'm able to finish my day with a grateful heart and thankful attitude.

Have you ever laughed hysterically with your husband? I know everybody's answer to this one will be "yes". How much fun is it to laugh at your inside jokes, that nobody else would ever get? It's just between you; that makes it special.

Have you ever turned down ice cream? I honestly don't think I ever have!

Have you ever bribed your children with food? I know it's probably not the best thing to do, but it usually has positive results.

Have you ever been so thankful that you feel like you're about to burst at the seams? I feel this way every day. I sometimes have to be reminded and refocused, but wow, how could I ask for more!

6 comments:

  1. Def. have left bags.

    Def. punished my students, but thought they prob. needed it whether for this incident or another so the guilt subsided.

    I am anal about my haircuts!... to a fault.

    Laughed out loud/held back tears reading your dancing with avery story

    Have def. crawled out of bedrooms putting a little one to sleep. One little girl I nannied for lived in an older house and I had the squeaky boards memorized so I had a specific escape route out the room and down the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun post! i am pretty positive i can yes to about all of those! but your story about dancing and the little boy made me cry! man, how that can put things in perspective for you. we are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! u said "gettin jiggy with it!"

    i miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES to all of the above!
    Have you ever missed your Memphis friends so much (especially when you know they're all going to get cheesecake to celebrate Baby Carter that you) that you had to hold back tears from that missing????
    GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry....I added too many "that you"s.
    Have you ever tried to catch up on your blog reading AND posting comments when your kids were screaming in the background?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the story about the two-year-old patient mad me cry. So sad.
    No, I've never forgotten my bags (yet). And I usually love when the stylist fixes my hair. I don't want to wash it because I can never replicate it.

    ReplyDelete