I think God gives mothers a sixth sense. And it shows up in various forms, but I always recognize it when it happens. Like when I'm completely sound asleep at night and I hear Parker open his door at the top of the hardwood stairs, despite my cranked up sound machine. Or how mothers know where everything is..."mommy, where's my lovey (tear, sniff, sniff). I can't sleep without my lovey". "It's in your room, in your closet, on the shelf, under the books, under your shoes." And it's that 6th sense that doesn't make you sweat when you can't find something, because you know for sure it WILL turn up, sometimes very randomly, like when you wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and as your climbing back into your bed it hits you....so you go put your hands on whatever it was you were looking for, put it in its place, and then climb back into bed - and sleep much more peacefully. It's our job to take care of these kinds of things, and "AMEN" to the fact that God equips us to do it. So at the end of the day when we've played every role to everyone else, who's looking after us? When we as mothers have our own version of "I can't find my lovey", who helps us find it? Well, thank goodness for a Savior who gives us direct access to our Caregiver and who intercedes for us...even in the little things.
For example, a few weeks ago, after having been home from a trip to Target 2 hours prior, I realized I couldn't find my cell phone. I looked and looked. I called the number...no ringing heard and no answer on the other end. And then I remembered the last time I saw my cell phone...I dropped it in the parking lot as I was getting into my truck. I did not recollect picking it up and putting it back in my purse. My first thought, "Shane is going to kill me"! Ha! Then the wave of disappointment. And then that little inkling of hope followed by a dagger in the heart - "there's no way my cell phone is still thriving in that parking lot". But I figured it was worth a shot. And I very seriously offered up my prayer, "Dear Lord, please, please let my cell phone be ok". Can you believe it was right where I dropped it, untouched!
And again, last week...while Avery was at preschool "mommy and the boyz" (we like to call ourselves that on Avery's school days) went to the mall. It was getting close to 12 noon, which is when Avery gets out. Wait a minute, where are my keys! My first thought...Shane is really going to kill me! Ha again! Check with mall security, nope. Retrace my steps..."come on Parker, you've got to walk faster than that...Carter, I know you're hungry but please hang on". Oh thank goodness, there's my wonderful friend, Sarah Ortiz, and Parker's buddy, Max eating in the food court. She graciously kept the "boyz" while I looked frantically by the carousel, the Disney Store, the elevator, Children's Place, the bathroom, and every step in between, all the while uttering, "Please, Lord, help me find my keys." And there, in The Children's Place, behind the checkout counter, sat my keys, in the safe keeping of the sales lady. Thank you, Lord! Especially because when I told Shane what happened he told me he would not have come and gotten me (this was after I told him I had let Carter play with my keys as he sat in his stroller). He was just kidding...I think :-)
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am thankful for the 6th sense that told me to move my phone from inside the car door to the middle RIGHT. BEFORE. HE. PEED! Turd! I could have killed that dog for peeing on the door!!
ReplyDelete