Monday, May 24, 2010

So long, farewell

We had the countdown - the "Parker in 5 more days we're going to tell your passy bye-bye" countdown. Whether he really understood what was about to happen (which I'm pretty sure he did; he's a smart little fellow) or whether he didn't really care what we were telling him, I'm not sure. But with everyday closer to the end, he kept telling us "ok" when the passy conversation came up. I admit, I caved at naptime on that dreaded day. I was dreading it because I was just certain it was going to be a battle. He only gets his passy when he sleeps, and if there's one thing Parker needs desperately besides food and water it's SLEEP! He's a beast without it! (aren't we all).
On a side note...on totally opposite extremes I'm doing my best and hoping Carter will start taking his passy. Avery never took a passy or sucked her thumb or anything. Needless to say, she couldn't soothe herself very well. So with Parker, I credit Shane for shoving the pacifier down his throat and MAKING him take it! We were determined. And it paid off because it sure was nice on those "I'm awake in the middle of the night" nights we could just go give Parker his passy and he was back to sleep. Carter, please!!! Right now he only takes it when he's really sleepy. Now when he wakes up in the middle of the night and I try to give him his passy, he viciously sucks away and in a few moments is screaming because that passy has nothing in it to eat :-) I'll cut him some slack and keep my fingers crossed in the next few weeks.
So, back to Parker man. I caved at naptime, but I assured him that at bedtime he was not going to get it. I needed Shane home for back-up so I gave in at naptime. When he woke up from his nap I told him to go throw it away. He went to the bathroom and threw it in the trash without any hesitation. When it was time for bedtime he grabbed his blanket and his "buddy" and started whining a bit and pointing towards the door. I told him his passy was all gone, he threw it away. He crawled up in my lap, read books, said prayers and went to bed without any fussing. And he's been fine ever since. He hasn't even tried to put Carter's passy in his mouth!
We praised him and clapped for him the next few days. Now it's old news.
Bless him, he's had a lot going on in his little world the past few months. And he's handled everything like a champ. He moved to his new room and a big bed without difficulty. He's completely rid of his passy. He's adjusted to a new baby brother, dividing the attention in a few more ways. The milestones that I sometimes dread usually turn out to be rather simple. I make mountains out of mole hills.
Next step...pottytraining! Oh my! I'm just going to keep my mouth shut!

No comments:

Post a Comment