We recently went to the Delta Fair, and having heard mixed reviews I wasn't sure what to expect. For the Cross family, we'll give it an "A". We had lots of fun, even though it was a Saturday night on a holiday weekend (it was the only time we could go). Avery has definitely inherited her mother's love of the fair and fair food! She was fearless on all the rides, and we both INHALED a funnel cake (with extra powdered sugar).
As we walked around Shane and I reminisced about our first fair experience together. It was 8 years ago on our first date. And look at us now, bringing our 3 children to the fair. What a long road we've come in the last 8 years. And who knew when we rode the "Ring-O-Fire" at the Mid-South Fairgrounds that it would become a lasting memory that makes us laugh hysterically. And I never would have known that night that fair rides usually make Shane sick...ah, the sacrifice he made :-)
Our story...here's how it began. As "cheesy" as it might sound, I really remember the first time I saw Shane, and my heart skipped a beat. It was at work at the nurses' station, 2 Northwest to be exact. He grabbed a chart and started reading through it and working there at the pod. Let me pause and fill you in on what was going on in my life during this time. I had moved to Memphis 2 years prior without knowing anybody except Lisa Dawkins Godwin (a great friend to know). I came to work at St. Jude and I was loving my job. I had recently bought a house. I was successful and I had a wonderful family of friends. Life was good. But the longing was still there...to be married and have a family.
So I was 26 years old and single and being the hottie that he is, Shane caught my eye (ha!) But as usual, he was taken. My very confident friend, Yvonne, was quick to make an introduction and begin learning his life history. Yes, he had a girlfriend. Yvonne's response was, "well, I hope everything goes well for you and your girlfriend, but if anything ever happens, I've got just the girl for you" and then she proceeded to tell him that it was me! I was mortified. Any time I saw him from that point on I turned and went the opposite direction. I didn't want him to think that I was some desperate psycho girl who was going to stalk him. I could have killed Yvonne for opening her big mouth, but I now I'm very thankful she planted that seed. It was all part of the plan....
Moving on, about a year later. Shane had spent part of his residency doing research and lab work, so I didn't see him very often in the hospital (thank goodness; I'm easily embarrassed). But it was time for my PALS (pediatric advanced life support) renewal class and guess who happened to be taking the same class! I kept my distance, assuming the girlfriend was still around...but in those practice settings when you're trying to act out a life threatening scenario with a manikin, and heart monitors, and the crash cart, and instructors grading you, you have to work together. He was kind and friendly, nothing out of the ordinary. So at the end of our 2 day class when everybody was leaving I was quite surprised when he pulled me over to the side and asked if he could talk to me for a second. He asked me if I'd like to do something with him sometime, and my quick response was, "sure, how about Saturday?" And we went to the Mid-South Fair. My idea, of course.
During that time of singlehood and some loneliness, I knew that God was and would always be faithful. I knew He hadn't planted a desire for a family in my heart just to tease me. I knew His timing was perfect. And looking back now I think God was the one who made my heart skip that beat when I first saw Shane. I think He smiled with delight when I accepted a nursing job at St. Jude; and He smiled even bigger when Shane canceled all his other interviews and decided to come straight to St. Jude. And I can only imagine the joyful laughter when we both signed up for the same PALS class.
God is good! His ways are perfect!
Monday, September 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ahhhh! I never knew that story! What a sweet and wonderful story! God's perfect timing!
ReplyDelete