Friday, January 28, 2011

A good night's rest!

SLEEP!  I miss it.  I sometimes crave it.  Is there something wrong with me?  We have an 11 month old infant son who's been sleeping through the night since he was 3 months old....but we rarely have an uninterrupted night of rest.  And it's not because of Carter.  Let's just say that I stopped buying pull-ups for Parker to sleep in since he's always dry in the morning....and that's not because the boy can hold it all night.  It's because he inherited his mother's bladder and gets up at least once, sometimes twice, sometimes three times a night to go potty.  We try to cut out drinking as early as we can.  And on nights that daddy lets the P-man freely drink Gatorade at his 8:30 soccer game, then he gets to get up 4 times with Parker to take him to the potty!
And then there's our other night disturbance...Avery Leigh.  I guess she inherited her mother's "light-sleeper"-ness.  Ha!  Because if the girl's back itches, or if she has a hangnail, or if her top blanket fell off the bed, or if her sound machine isn't loud enough (you get the picture) she calls me.  And despite the fact that the toilet is 5 steps from her bed, and there's a nice, bright night light in the bathroom, she calls me to take her to the bathroom.  And then she always asks me, "will you sleep with me for a minute?", which sometimes turns into the rest of the night because I'm too tired to walk back to my nice, soft bed.  And bless her, she does have bad dreams some nights, so I have to go check on her and love and reassure her.  On those nights my trek across the house doesn't seem to bother me as much :-) 
This too shall pass, right?  I just really miss a good night's rest.
So when I put Avery to bed last night, I told her not to call me if her back itches, or if she has a fingernail that needs cutting or anything like that...and she asked me, "So do I call Daddy?"  I should have said, "yes, call out for Daddy".  But instead I told her she needs to learn to go back to sleep.  We'll see how many nights that lasts.

1 comment:

  1. ha! mine have learned to always call out for daddy during the night :)

    ReplyDelete